Designer Series: The Importance of Being Timeless with John-William Interiors’ Staci Compton
Staci Compton is a designer who loves her craft. From new construction to home restoration, Staci is passionate about creating custom interior design that meets client’s needs with a timeless and classic feel. She was happy to sit down with us to discuss her experience and approach to interior design.
- How did you get your start as a designer? I went to the University of North Texas and was in their Interior Design program, and I did my internship with a designer here in Austin, Babs McMaude. When I graduated, she hired me as soon as she had an opening. I’ve been with John-William Interiors for seven years.
- What’s your design philosophy? My design philosophy is designing a home to meet a client’s needs, in a way that’s timeless and classic. In a way that they’re not going to, in a few years, be tired of. I kind of believe in timeless design that caters to each client’s style, wants or needs.
- What do you consider your specialty? I really love new construction. Getting to be a part of the job early on and doing all the selections like the tile and the finishes, even as early as the plan stages with the architect. I really like the whole new construction process.
- What do you enjoy most about being a designer? I enjoy that we get to do all kinds of different styles of design. We’re not limited to any particular style or look; we get to try a little bit of everything because each client is different and each job is different. And I really like that every day our job is different. We get to be creative and work on lots of different projects, different phases and different types of design. That’s probably my favorite thing.
- What is your favorite project since working at JWI? A client had really unique tastes and she gave us the freedom to design it. We got to combine some rustic with contemporary, and it was just a very fun project because of her unique tastes.
- What’s your design process? The first thing we have to do is get to know the client fairly quickly. That’s how we know where to go and what to do for them – get to know their tastes and what they’re looking for, so we can do our job and make them happy with the finished product.
- How does good design help people in their working and living spaces? It gives them something happy to come home to. I think it creates and environment where, when it’s designed well, they have a place where they’re very happy.
- In your opinion, what are some top traits in a successful interior designer? It’s very important to be able to work with people. You can be very creative, but you also have to be able to deal with all of the people in the industry, communicate well and work with different personality types. And also being able to come up with new ideas that fit into the right look for each client. Thinking outside the box.
- In your opinion, what sets John-William Interiors apart? We carry many different lines and vendors, and we can create any look. Not only what’s available on the floor, but we can order so much more. Most of what Babs and I do, because we work a little differently, we special order about 95 percent of what we do for each client. I think it’s the ability to just create any look, any style. We have lots of resources.