How to Choose and Hang Drapes
Drapes are an important part of an interior decoration project that few people consider. The best Austin home furniture will look bland without incredible curtains hanging in your windows. However, it is important to know how to select the best possible curtains for your home and how to attach them.
In this guide, you will learn about the various important aspects of curtain design. You will also get an insider’s look at how to hang them successfully. For many people, this may be a complicated process that requires real professional help. Don’t be afraid to reach out to us if you need guidance through this somewhat involved process.
Design Aspects to Consider
The most difficult aspects of choosing curtains are making sure that they match your home and hang properly. There are many crucial elements that you must consider to ensure that your drapes look great and last for years. These include the:
- Color of the drapes and the surrounding windows
- Fabric and its textural design
- Weight and length of each drape
- Height from which the curtains hang
- Window treatments to add
- Washing methods, such as dry cleaning or machine washing
For example, your curtain color needs to match the overall look and style of your home. Red curtains look great in a home that has red or brown carpeting and similar furniture and trim colors. However, you also need to make sure that your drapes complement your window treatments, such as tinted glass or textured window frames.
Hanging the Curtains Properly
When it comes time to hang your curtains, we emphasize the importance of calling a professional. They can carefully measure the height you need to be covered, choose great looking drapes, and make sure they emphasize a great home style.
However, it is possible to hang curtains on your own by following some simple steps. When trying to hang drapes in your home, follow this process to make sure you get it right:
- Position the curtain rod about six inches above the window frame
- Extend the rod about 10-15 inches past the window to create a wider look
- Measure the distance from your curtain rod to the bottom of the floor
- Take a few moments to gauge the color and design of the room
- Purchase drapes that will hang just an inch or so off the floor and which complement your room design
- Carefully slide the curtains onto the hanging rod and make sure they are even
- Adjust the position of the curtain rod and the drapes as needed
By following this simple process, it is possible for you to hang your curtains without much trouble. However, it is easy to make measurement mistakes that ruin the effectiveness of your drape style. It is also easy to choose improperly colored curtains or to hang them unevenly. These errors can be very tricky to fix on your own.
Contact a Professional
In the end, the best way to finish this interior design project is to contact a professional. So come to our shop at 3010 West Anderson Lane in Austin or call us at 512-451-5511. Our expert interior decorators will do what they can to get your home into great shape.